Hydy Elizabeth-Lyn Cates
239 N Chesterfield Rd
Columbus, OH 43209
Columbus Metropolitan Library: Martin Luther King Branch – Columbus, OH
Customer Service Specialist (2/13/17 – present)
- Provide customer service to a wide variety of patrons by assisting with accounts, technology, item requests, and information searches.
- Work on collection development by performing regular inventory, shelf reading, and display maintenance.
- Assist the branch manager with archival organization and branch history research in preparation for the opening of a new building for the branch.
Sprawl Library Warehouse– Columbus, OH
Contract Cataloger (2/24/2016 – present)
- Evaluation and preservation of books from the early 1900s to current titles.
- Copy-cataloging and hand-cataloging books into Sprawl Library database using Readerware software. To date, I have added over 16,000 titles to the Sprawl database.
Columbus Metropolitan Library: Whitehall Branch – Whitehall, OH
Customer Service Associate (5/23/16 – 2/12/17)
- Fielded incoming calls from our information line, and assisted customers on the floor with simple inquiries.
- Fulfilled customer hold requests, and created an organization system that allowed up to 90 requests to be filled in an hour, up from 50.
- Received, sorted, and shelved materials delivered to the branch or dropped off by customers.
- Contributed to collection development by performing shelf reading and inventory, and removing of materials in poor condition.
Columbus Metropolitan Library: Local History and Genealogy – Columbus, OH
Intern (09/02/15 – 11/05/15) & Volunteer (1/5/2016 – 2/18/2016)
- Created 12 digital collections in ContentDM.
- Created and added metadata to over 950 digital objects.
- Digitized 25 rolls of microfilm and sorted the images into easily browsable folders.
Otterbein University Courtright Memorial Library - Westerville, OH
Intern (08/31/15 - 11/3/15)
- Created and conducted a use survey of the Digital Commons Institutional Repository using SurveyMonkey to improve communication with faculty and staff.
- Designed and conducted a usability survey of the Library Website and recommended changes to facilitate higher student and faculty use.
- Wrote benchmark access reports for the Institutional Repository to show its worldwide impact.
- Evaluated zero-circulation items for removal or replacement to create space for new inventory.
- Researched copyright, created metadata, and added new materials to three collections in the Digital Commons Institutional Repository.
Bookup, Inc. - Columbus, OH
Online Marketing and Web Consultant (09/2009 – 01/2011)
- Ported website from FrontPage to WordPress CMS, and integrated with ppSD2 Membership Software and phpBB forums
- Produced advertising campaigns with Google Adwords as well as email marketing campaigns
- Customer database management with InfusionSoft CRM Software
- Processed PayPal and InfusionSoft CRM purchases and refunds
Barnes and Noble Booksellers, Inc. - Columbus, Ohio & Boise, Idaho
Bookseller (10/2002 – 08/2015)
- Over my 13 years at B&N, I served in many capacities. I was a bookseller, a music seller, a head cashier, a trainer, and a book floor lead. Assisted customers with a variety of book, movie, and music searches and with technical support for our various nook devices, including teaching nook classes.
- Received and shelved new materials, while maintaining merchandising standards, and performed inventory control.
- Trained new hires in shelving, computer systems, and merchandising.
- Society of Ohio Archivists
- Ohio Digitization Interest Group
- Society of American Archivists
- American Library Association
- Master of Library and Information Sciences from Kent State University – December 2015 - Specialty in Digital Archives and Information Storage
- Bachelor of Arts in English – Creative Writing from Denison University, May 2002